1. Welcome!

XF Resource is a site dedicated to bringing you add-ons and resources that we use across our sites at Whipp Media. Feel free to join and ask any questions or browse our free resources or add-ons.

Case Study: Sendy.co & Sendy Newsletter Generator

Discussion in 'XenForo Discussions' started by BamaStangGuy, Dec 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Administrator Staff Member

[​IMG]
    I will be using this thread to follow the success of using Sendy.co and the Sendy Newsletter Generator. I will use Yesterday as the starting point. I have only sent out a few emails using the add-on so this should be a good basis to start on.

I currently send one email a day on ChristianForums.com. The emails are put together the night before and are scheduled to go out at 6:45AM each morning. Our current subscriber base is 51,094 emails. These emails date back to the early 2000's. I did scrub our initial email dump, which was just over 300,000 emails and that brought us down to just over 50k valid emails, as reported by the email validation service I used. Our smaller, new sites boast open rates in the 20% range.

Before I begin I want to note this: I only use the Featured Threads part of the add-on. I choose each thread that is featured each day and I choose the order in which they appear. Your mileage may vary depending on how you structure your emails. Knowing your community and knowing what kind of topics that they react to go a long way. The add-on does have a way for you to easily let it choose the topics for you. This may very well work just as well. For this case study, however, each newsletter is hand picked.

Yesterday's email statistics for our email that went out on Saturday morning are as follows:

Selection_016.png
    The stats are easy to follow. Another reason I absolutely love Sendy.co.

So how do the newsletters convert when it comes to revenue and analytics? Glad you asked. Since I use Google Analytics campaign tracking by default in the Sendy Newsletter Generator, I can easily track the amount of traffic and revenue that our newsletters send us.

Here is the revenue generated from yesterdays Newsletter:

Selection_017.png

As you can see our Sendy newsletter is the third highest source of income each day. Notice the CPM for each email as well. $4.05 CPM yesterday for the Sendy email I sent out. (You can see it here).

Depending on your niche and your average CPM, these newsletters could turn out to be quite lucrative to you. Not to mention if you actually include advertisements inside of the newsletters themselves.

Now how did the traffic behave once it showed up on the site?

Selection_018.png

Not to bad. 510 sessions, 34.90% of those sessions were new sessions which total 178 new users. The bounce right was just above 50%, which is almost 20% lower than the overall site bounce rate. Right at 4 pageviews per session with an average time of sticking around the site of just over 7 minutes.

Overall, not bad at all for the 7-10 minutes each day it takes me to generate the Newsletter with the add-on and then schedule it to be sent out. :)

Don't have Sendy yet? Get it here

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
    deltahf likes this.
  2. BamaStangGuy

I was going to wait for an update but Yesterday's (12-04-2016) earnings were even better with the newsletter. I included the newsletter_1 because it is part of the first Newsletter Add-on that I released. I have not used that add-on since November 30, 2016. So even after the initial newsletters are sent, people continue to open and read them far later down the road. The CPM on yesterdays Sendy newsletter was $4.29

Selection_019.png

3. BamaStangGuy

Pretty consistent again today :)

I am going to be working on a few different templates in the coming weeks to see what kind of CTR change I can see between different layouts.

4. deltahf

deltahf New Member

Awesome results!

I'd been contemplating writing something similar, so it's great to see you've already put something like this together! I'll be buying the plugin soon. This update log is really interesting; I can't wait to see what happens next. :D

BamaStangGuy likes this.
  5. BamaStangGuy

So far this month, Sendy has contributed to more earnings than Yahoo and Bing combined. In fact, double both of them combine.

deltahf likes this.
  6. deltahf

deltahf New Member

I would have been a little hesitant sending out that many more emails per month on your Amazon SES account, but I'm guessing they haven't given you any trouble? No spam or deliverability problems?

Of course, I'm sure running all those addresses through a validator helped, too. Which service did you use? I've got 260,000 emails (dating back to 2001) that I'd need to check...

7. BamaStangGuy

8. BamaStangGuy

From December 1-10, Sendy has accounted for 5.07% of our traffic while Bing and Yahoo combined have accounted for 4.14%.

mouth likes this.
  9. BamaStangGuy

So far this month Sendy has made us $141.38 compared to $82.70 for Yahoo and Bing combined. o_O

10. BamaStangGuy

Yesterday we sent two emails on ChristianForums.com. The first email was our standard email that goes out around 6AM (We moved it to 6AM to test better open rate and I believe it will stay at this time).

Here are the results:

Selection_034.png
    The top email campaign was one about a breaking news story that happened about 1-2 hours before the email was sent out. The open rate was much better due to the attention grabbing headlines. However, I noticed that CTR remained about the same overall between both emails combined and then the single emails we have been sending out each day.

So sending out two emails doesn't really equate to more clicks through to your site.

11. BamaStangGuy

Honestly, I expected things to slow down a bit. We have never done the volume of emails we are doing now, day after day. We are sending so much that Amazon auto detected this and bumped up our maximum send rate.

Yesterday was almost our best day yet with Sendy: 3,842 pageviews earning $18.03 from the Sendy campaign.

deltahf likes this.
  12. BamaStangGuy

I have been sick the last few days so I haven't sent out a newsletter in 3 days. Yesterday still had Sendy being the 3rd highest referral in income and traffic for the site.

deltahf likes this.
  13. BamaStangGuy

It has been awhile since an update but we are now sending out nearly 250,000 emails a day. The earnings from Sendy couldn't be better. :)

Screen Shot 2017-03-29 at 9.26.51 AM.png

deltahf likes this.
  14. BamaStangGuy

Today is the first day we are sending out emails with Emojis inside the Subject line. Will report back on any open rate improvements.

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 9.19.52 AM.png

deltahf likes this.
  15. BamaStangGuy

I think it worked. :D More Sendy referrals than Google right now. Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 10.55.49 AM.png

deltahf likes this.
  16. BamaStangGuy

Results are in and looking good!

Screen Shot 2017-03-31 at 2.59.09 PM.png

17. deltahf

deltahf New Member

How is the newsletter doing these days?

Just bought Sendy via your affiliate link above. Looking forward to trying it out.

18. BamaStangGuy

Still doing great. We are still sending out over 100k emails a day through it.

deltahf likes this.